Monday, March 15, 2010

Free Motion Boot Camp -- Santa Clarita Valley Quilt Guild

Kris Dolan, program chair of the Santa Clarita Valley Quilt Guild, called me last summer after members of the guild had talked about not being able to get into my Free Motion Boot Camp workshop at Road to California. Registration for classes at Road opens at midnight on one fateful day in July and some of them close before the sun comes up! So Kris called and asked about my availability to teach this same workshop for the guild.



The guild workshops are held in a beautiful big room with a lot of lighting and a kitchen. There was a full class of 20 guild members.










In the morning, they worked on their free motion quilting using stencils; in the afternoon, freehand free motion was taught.





Breakfast and lunch were provided to everyone as well as the goodie basket above to keep everyone's energy up!



My friend Paula Fleischer had brought a quilt top she had just finished. Some of those circles are appliqued fabric, but most are hand-embroidered. I tried to get a close-up of a couple of the embroidered areas, but the pictures were blurry. I'm having breakfast with Paula in a couple of days, so I'll see if I can get her to bring this quilt so I can try again.

One thing we can say about her is that she certainly isn't afraid of color! I love the way this all works together. Paula has done applique and quilting by hand for the 20 years I have known her, so I have to say that I was gratified that she actually liked the freehand free motion -- she did mention that she thought she'd hate it!



Glenna Beaver brought a quilt she had made for her granddaughter; loved all of the free motion quilting that she had done on it. The picture of the quilted leaves was taken from the back of the quilt....






















In the afternoon, I took pictures of some of the freehand quilting designs that people made up -- wouldn't this look great as either a background fill or a wreath design in a block?



Trucks for a little boy's quilt and a cluster of grapes....the flower was really fun -- she put the machine on zigzag for the leaves...




















All in all, a very fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...