Thursday, May 26, 2011

Spent a Morning Baking....

We were having friends to dinner Tuesday evening, so I decided to put the morning to good use and bake some goodies to eat:




The first thing I made was this Sesame White Bread, a recipe I found on a blog on the internet. The way it is made is pretty interesting and easy! Flour, water and yeast are combined in the mixing bowl of your electric mixer; I used my KitchenAid and after the three ingredients were mixed, I just put Press & Seal over the bowl, pressing it over the bowl edges and around the beaters, covering everything and sealing all the air out. Then you can go away for anywhere from 30-90 minutes, depending on how much time you have and how much flavor you want to develop, and let the sponge rise. When I came back about an hour later, I took off the Press & Seal and added salt, butter and more flour and let the mixer knead the dough.


A quick hand knead, shaping and a 30 minute rise and 30 minute bake yielded the above loaf. I've made this several times and it's really yummy with a fine crumb and a slightly yeasty flavor from the "sponge" stage.





I taught at Downtown Sewing Machine Co. in Henderson NV last weekend and stopped by the Williams-Sonoma outlet in Primm NV on my way home. One of the things I bought was this Milk Chocolate Pound Cake mix. Tuesday morning I mixed it up with the additional ingredients and spread it in a pottery 8.5" x 4.5" loaf pan from Longaberger.

This is what I took out of the oven about 70 minutes later....

The recipe called for cooling it in the pan for 15 minutes and then turning it out onto a rack to cool further. I decided to make the optional cocoa glaze that was supposed to be spread on the cake when it was still warm.

Following the directions on the box, first I melted butter -- with this much butter, it's gotta be good, right? Then cocoa and confectioners sugar were added and beaten until smooth....



The idea was to get it smooth, but obviously mine isn't -- tasted fabulous, though. I sliced it in 1/2" slices and topped each serving with the Trader Joe's equivalent of cookies and cream ice cream, whipped cream and Midnight Moo, the chocolate syrup that was pictured in the first photo -- YUM!

1 comment:

  1. I love it when a blog makes me drool.
    This is bib worthy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...