Thursday, April 24, 2014

Finished All the Straight Stitching




Finished all the ditch stitching yesterday and then did straight stitching in the red stripes. Thread in the bobbin was Mettler Silk Finish (100% cotton), color 770; in the top of the machine was Mettler Poly Sheen (100% polyester), color 1911. I've been staying with the Mettler silk finish in the bobbin, but have been changing my bobbin thread color to harmonize with the top threads.


A couple of excellent suggestions from readers of my last blog post -- a variegated yellow/gold for the top thread for the free motion work in the stars.


So I dug through my Mettler box and found exactly what I needed.


This is the stencil I chose to stitch over the center of those pieced stars. It is #270 from JD Stencils. I often see them at the major quilt shows and always have to take a good look through the booth to see what's new to add to my collection. I buy the majority of my stencils from The Stencil Company; they have an easy to use search engine online (www.quiltingstencils.com) so that I can easily see what's available in the size I need.


The design fits perfectly! So I'll get that marked this morning and stitched. From what I'm hearing, the quilt won't be washed between the time I complete it and it is displayed at the show, so I'm using the purple air soluble markers. They fade pretty quickly, so once I get the design marked, it's a race to see if I can finish the quilting before the lines go away!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Palmdale CA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...