Saturday, May 24, 2014

Next Project Up.......





Continuing with my determined plan of attack of "One for Them and One for Me", the next quilt that I pulled from my stack to quilt was this beautifully pieced basket quilt belonging to my friend and local quilt shop owner and BERNINA dealer, Dawna Harrison. I believe this one is the longest in-my-possession-but-not-quilted-yet, as Dawna gave it to me in 2006! No excuses


....

This quilt has been folded up for a while, so I opened it up on my work tables to let the wrinkles ease out. The backing fabric is one of the coordinates from the same fabric line as the top. I had started it using a dark blue in the bobbin, but didn't like it. I didn't get too far, but gave it back to Dawna for her opinion; a friend of ours did the unsewing and Dawna gave it back to me for another try. This time I picked a green that goes really well with the backing fabric; it's Mettler Silk Finish (100% cotton) 50 wt. in color 903.

Now to get everything set up:


First of all, since Dawna IS my local BERNINA dealer, I set up my BERNNA 780 in my cabinet. I have ordered an insert from Dreamworld so that my surface will be level with my drop down cabinet space, but since it isn't here yet (no fault to DreamWorld; I just ordered it a couple of days ago and it is Memorial Day weekend) I'll work over the tray that came with the machine.


For the ditch work, I am using Mettler's Transfil nylon monofilament thread in the top of the machine and the cotton in the bobbin. To minimize the possible "polka dots" of green fabric to the top of the quilt, I have reduced the top tension. Most monofilaments work best with a top tension between 3.0 and 3.5. I chose 3.0 from the above "test". The second thing I did to minimize polka dots was to change to a smaller needle; the sample above was stitched using a Schmetz Jeans/Denim (I'm using Warm & Natural 100% cotton batting), size 70/10.


This is a picture of Dawna's shop, Bolts in the Bathtub. I ran over there to purchase a straight stitch throat plate for the machine; this plate will give me the best quality stitches with the least "polka dot" potential. Bolts is located in Lancaster CA about 10 miles from my house -- convenient, huh?


While I was there she told me about a trunk show collection she's getting into the shop next month; I really liked the quilt above because there is lots of space for killer quilting! Can't wait to get the pattern -- I really need another PHD!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Palmdale CA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...